Frequently Asked Questions about WCAAA's services


No! However, we are very grateful for donations which are used to provide more services for seniors.
If you are not receiving home delivered meals through the CT Home Care Program for Elders or other state program and are age 60+, there is no charge. All seniors are given an opportunity to donate toward the cost of meals.
Yes, we can usually help caregivers with services such as home health aide, adult day care, minor chore or short respite stay in a facility. Services provided through the state financed Alzheimer’s Respite Care Program are required to pay 20% of the cost of services unless very low income.
Will  services be stopped if I don’t pay? Yes, there is a charge of 9% of the cost of services and yes, the State of CT might issue an order to stop services if payment is not received.
Yes, we can help with general questions and in some situations, we can help  with the full application including filing.
The WCAAA does not provide anylegal services or advice. We provide some funding to CT Legal Services to help seniors in certain situations but seniors who wish to develop a will should find an appropriate attorney.
We rely on “Language Line” as a translating service  to communicate in most languages other than English and Spanish.
In general, we do not provide cash to any person. However, through our partnerships with various agencies such as Independence Northwest or the VA, we might be able to help with partial financing of a ramp (if medically necessary).  Consumers though, have to hire specialists to obtain ramp configurations and potential costs.
Call the western area CT Nursing Home Ombudsman’s office at 203-597-4181 to report or discuss a situation.
This is complicated since many seniors have appointed a Power of Attorney (POA) or Conservator.  We frequently receive these calls and discuss these fears with the caller to determine if the call should be transferred to Protective Services for the Elderly (PSE), local  Police Department or a complaint made to Probate Court. Sometimes we find that seniors have freely given money to one family members without fear of retribution. Since each case is different, we encourage calling the WCAAA or PSE directly at 1-888-385-4225 during regular business hours. After hour emergencies can be called into 211 or if necessary, your local Police Department.
No, as we do not sell any of these products. The CT Bureau of Rehab Services has provided us with a grant to purchase one of each new item that might be appropriate for individuals with certain handicaps and show these items so that seniors can decide if they wish to purchase them directly. We have a hospital bed, walker, cane or wheelchair. Can I donate them to the WCAAA? Maybe. Minor equipment such as canes, wheelchairs or walkers can be donated to the WCAAA but we cannot store hospital beds.  We have an arrangement with Hartford based NEAT, Inc. who picks up these items at our office, sanitizes all items and fixes those needing repair. Once that process is completed, items can be purchased from NEAT at a low cost. Yes, pick up and delivery may be arranged with NEAT. Call the WCAAA for specific information.
Maybe. We receive many of these calls but cannot locate an appropriate apartment in 24 hours as most of our housing complexes have wait lists. Working with partner agencies, we generally refer callers who are homeless to  a safe environment such as homeless shelter, complete an intake to determine benefits and then shop around for appropriate housing depending on income and credit issues. This is a long term process.
Yes, we can obtain information from the caller/visitor and make that determination so that options can be discussed and the senior make their own decisions regarding benefits/services. We can also help with actual applications if necessary. An appointment to talk with WCAAA staff is not necessary but is appreciated so that we do not waste anyone’s time.

Consumers in nursing homes should plan on a minimum of six months for the entire process which involves lots of state agency approvals, finding appropriate and affordable housing and shopping for the person transitioning to the community. If applications need to be completed and filed for state or federal benefits, the process takes longer.

Generally, yes. We usually have advance word from state agencies that special letters are being mailed and are prepared to help consumers understand letter specifics and options.
We are happy to report that our management or administrative rate is a low 4%-5 % which means that 95% – 96% is used for  services or given out to other agencies who then provide programs or services in our 41 town area.
We rely on volunteers and if a caller is not interested in working with the WCAAA directly, we can certainly discuss other volunteer opportunities in our area.
We are happy to arrange training for any group.
Generally no.  However, we do have very limited resources that might be able to be used toward  a portion of a security deposit depending on involvement of a caregiver.