Our Programs


 Glossary of Terms:

  • Chore: indoor or outdoor work or household tasks provided to individuals who are unable to do these tasks for themselves because of frailty or other factors. Services are provided in order to allow the person to maintain a healthy and safe home environment.
  • Companion: home-based supervision and monitoring activities including escorting individuals to medical appointments, recreational activities, social appointments, reading to an individual, providing monitoring and companionship to ensure the highest quality of life and safety of the individual.
  • Home Health Aide (HHA): hands-on personal care such as assistance with bathing, dressing, grooming, changing of bed linens, assistance with feeding, ambulation, assistance with transferring and toileting.
  • Homemaker (HMK): general household activities provided in the home to assist or instruct an individual in managing a household. Activities includes: changing linens, dishwashing, light housekeeping, laundry, meal planning and preparation and shopping.
  • Personal Emergency Response System (PERS): in-home, twenty-four hour electronic alarm system activated by a signal to a switchboard which provides the individual with immediate help in the event of a medical, emotional or environmental emergency.
  • Respite: provides short-term relief for a family caregiver caring for a loved one to help alleviate some of the stresses of care giving. Respite can be either in-home services such as a companion, HHA, HMK, or can be in-patient at an assisted living or skilled nursing facility.
  • Skilled Nursing Visit (SNV): those services that must be provided by a Registered Nurse (RN) or Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) including observation and assessment of patient's condition.
  • Social Worker (MSW): services provided to help an individual cope with personal, family or environmental issues. This includes assistance to individuals coping with long-term or short-term disability, substance abuse, family relationships and maintaining a person's independence.

Non-Skilled Home Care

Non-skilled services include homemakers, companions and chore persons to assist individuals who need help with things such as meal preparation, shopping, escort to doctor visits and other errands. They also can provide help with laundry, light housekeeping and companionship. If you don't qualify for any of the WCAAA programs, you may still obtain services through these agencies by privately paying.

For more information and to see if you qualify for any of the WCAAA programs, please call (800) 994-9422 or (203) 757-5449.

Skilled Home Care

Skilled home care agencies provide help in the home to keep a person in the community and prevent premature nursing home placement. Services include visiting nurses, social workers, physical or occupational therapists and home health aides. Home health aides can provide hands on personal care such as bathing, dressing, grooming, help with meals, ambulation, transferring and other hands-on care.

For more information and to see if you qualify for any of the WCAAA programs, please call (203) 757-5449 or (800) 994-9422.