Elder Abuse

Protective Services for the Elderly

In Connecticut, the primary responsibility for investigating and dealing with the issues of elder abuse, neglect, exploitation and abandonment resides with the Department of Social Services, Protective Services for the Elderly (PSE) Program. With regard to reporting, although some professionals are "mandated" to report suspected cases of elder abuse, anyone who suspects that an older adult is being abused, neglected or exploited should make a report to the Regional Office of the CT Department of Social Services (DSS). Protective services are provided to those in need regardless of income or assets. In addition to Protective Services for the Elderly, many municipalities have social services for senior adults. In extreme cases, if an elderly person does not give consent to receive "necessary and reasonable services" and it is felt that he or she lacks the capacity to give consent, DSS may petition the Probate Court for the appointment of a conservator whose role it is to make decisions on behalf of the client. If possible, a family member will assume that role or if none is available or capable, the Commissioner of the Department of Social Services may be named as conservator.

If you would like to report a case of suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation, call CT Protective Services for the Elderly at (800) 385-4225. For after hour emergencies, call Infoline 211. If you are concerned about an older adult in a life or death situation, call 911.

CT Legal Services, CLS  |  (203) 756-8074

For more information on Protective Services for the Elderly, please call the WCAAA office at (203) 757-5449 or (800) 994-9422.

Emergency Response System

An in-home, 24 hour electronic alarm system enables a high risk individual to secure help in a medical, physical, emotional or environmental emergency. Costs consist of one time installation and monthly monitoring fees. Emergency Response Systems can be paid for by programs such as: CT Homecare Program for Elders, or CT State Respite Program or National Family Caregiver Program.

For more information on an Emergency Response System, please call the WCAAA office at (203) 757-5449 or (800) 994-9422.